Ingredients (serves 6)
1 1/2 cups red lentils
1 Tb olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1.5 kg butternut or Jap pumpkin, diced
1.5 litres vegetable stock
1. Rinse lentils until water runs clear.
2. Heat oil, add onion and cook until soft.
3. Add garlic, cumin,coriander and turmeric. Mix well.
4. Add lentils and stir to coat. Add pumpkin and stock.
5. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and stir frequently until mixture is soft.
6. Mash or for a finer texture, puree contents using a stick blender.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.