The following recipe is basic and is modified to include the stock all at once. In a true risotto, heated stock is ladled in slowly as the rice absorbs the liquid (see Basic Risotto recipe in The Food Book on p. 254-255)
Ingredients (Serves 2)
1/4 onion, diced
2/3 cup arborio rice
1 1/2 cups stock (beef, chicken or vegetable)
1 cup flavouring vegetables (selection of seasonal vegetables)
Garnish – parmesan cheese shavings, fresh herbs
1. Dice the onion finely and prepare (shred,chop,grate,slice) other vegetable flavouring ingredients accordingly.
2. Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan and gently sauté the vegetables for a few minutes.
3. Add the rice and toss over a gentle heat for a few minutes or until the grains look white in colour.
4. Add the stock and a few shakes of pepper. Bring the rice to the boil, stirring once or twice.
5. Cover with a lid and turn the heat down as low as possible.
6. Allow to simmer very gently for 15 – 20 minutes. (Rice should still have a slight nuttiness in the centre). Do not uncover the rice during this time.
7. Toss gently with a fork, adjust seasonings and serve immediately