Greek Cypriot-style Pilaf (serves 4 or 6 as a side)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
2 cups Arborio rice
1 cup angel hair pasta or vermicelli, crushed into pieces
1 brown onion, diced finely
1 tomato, diced finely (optional)
1 stick celery, sliced finely
3 cups (approx.) vegetable stock
2 Tbs olive oil
- Heat 1 Tb oil in a heavy based saucepan and then add crushed vermicelli. Stir constantly over a medium heat until vermicelli is well coated with oil and is evenly browned. Remove and set aside in a bowl.
- Add the remaining oil to the saucepan and heat gently. Add the onion and fry until transparent and then add the uncooked rice, tomatoes and celery (if using).
- Stir for a few minutes so that the rice is evenly coated with the oil and takes on the flavours of the flavouring vegetables.
- Season with pepper to taste and then add the stock. Stir mixture and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and then cover saucepan with lid. Cook for 20 minutes and then remove lid. Stir, add more stock or water if rice is still crunchy. Return lid and cook for a further 5-10 minutes (can turn off heat at this point as rice will continue to cook).